Thoughts Left Grow In The Woods – An Acrylic Painting Lesson
Click here for the DVD version.
This lesson is an introduction to incorporating a figure into a landscape. The first part of this lesson is doing a sketch of the figure. I provide the reference photo and the drawing exercise to complete the sketch. Even if you aren’t happy with your own sketch I will provide one for you to transfer to the canvas if you choose to do so.
Then we will create a tonal painting incorporating that sketch into a misty forest scene. We will use an extremely limited palette, with mostly Raw Umber and White. A few basic additional colors are used in some of the skin tones (naples yellow, burnt sienna, ultramarine blue)
By limiting the palette and keeping the painting simple we are creating a good introduction to build figures into your paintings.
Canvas Size: 11 X 14
Materials Needed for sketch: paper, pencil, eraser
Colors used: Raw Umber, Titanium White, Zinc White (minimal amounts of burnt sienna, naples yellow, ultramarine blue)
Photo reference included: Yes
To purchase this lesson, click Add to Cart, then click Checkout, and follow the onscreen instructions. Once you've completed the order, you'll be able to instantly access the lesson by clicking the blue button labeled with your display name in the upper-right and then selecting My Painting Lessons.
Note: DVD orders are shipped via First Class mail and should arrive within 5 to 7 business days.
With every Tim Gagnon Studio online lesson purchase, you receive:
- Immediate access – just purchase and begin painting
- Start to finish instruction – no cutouts – you’ll see every brushstroke of every painting
- Easy-to-learn techniques – develop skills to promote consistency in your style for a more professional look
- Unlimited viewing, no expiration – view the lesson as many times as you’d like, whenever you’d like
- Download the lesson directly to your hard drive for easy, offline access
- No expiration – once purchased, you’ll have access to the lesson forever
- FREE access to Critique Corner community – get/give advice, interact, and share photos of your work with other artists taking the same lesson
Tim Gagnon is the creator of online and DVD-based instructional art lessons for over 17,500 students in over 30 countries. In 2012, he was voted as one of the Top 50 Emerging Artists by Art Business News. His easy-to-learn instruction and unique, modern style has propelled him to one of the most followed artists in the United States.