Fine art and online painting lessons
- Buy Painting Lessons
- Original Artwork
Watch this video on glazing techniques:
Glazing Techniques for Painting Highlights and Shadows on Clouds in Oil
Oil painting provides artists with a range of techniques to create beautiful and realistic clouds with depth and luminosity. One of the most effective techniques is glazing, which involves layering thin transparent coats of color over one another. In this article, we will focus on how to paint highlights and shadows on clouds using glazing techniques in oil.
1. Start with oiling in. Before you begin painting, prepare your painting by oiling in the surface. This means applying a thin coat of painting medium (50/50 mix) to the canvas to provide a surface for your paint to adhere to and allow the paint to go smoothly.
2. Add the first layer of glaze. To paint the highlights on the clouds, start by mixing titanium white with a medium, such as linseed oil, to create a thin and transparent glaze. Apply this to the areas of the clouds where you want the highlights to be.
3. Build up the highlights. As you apply additional layers of the white glaze, build up the highlights by adding more paint to the areas where you want the highlights to be more prominent. Make sure each layer is thin and transparent, so that the previous layers show through.
4. Add shadows with glazing. To create contrast and give the clouds more dimension, you can add shadows using glazing techniques. Start by mixing a dark color, such as ultramarine blue and raw umber, or cerulean blue with raw umber and a touch of alizarin, with a medium to create a thin and transparent glaze. Apply this to the areas of the clouds where you want the shadows to be.
5. Blend the layers. After each layer has dried, use a blending tool, such as a soft brush or a blending knife, to soften and blend the layers together. This will create a smooth and cohesive look, with subtle variations in color and tone that add depth and luminosity to the clouds.
In conclusion, painting highlights and shadows on clouds using glazing techniques in oil is a great way to create depth and luminosity in your paintings. By oiling in the canvas, adding thin layers of white for highlights, and using glazing to add shadows, you can increase contrast and create stunning and realistic clouds in your paintings.
JOIN THE MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM – Get hundreds of painting lessons instantly – CLICK HERE TO JOIN